STARSSpecial Technology and Adaptive Resources for Students
STARS is a joint program between The Lighthouse for the Blind and St. Louis Society for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
The main goal of STARS is to demonstrate, evaluate and train youth in Adaptive Technology and Activities of Daily Living.
Comprised of two programs STARS Technology and STARS ADL, the main goal of STARS is to demonstrate, evaluate and train in Adaptive Technology and Activities of Daily Living. While STARS Technology is for students of all ages, STARS ADL Groups are for those students between the ages of 6 – 15 with in-home daily living skills instruction available for students ages 16 – 21.
STARS provides youth with the opportunity to explore and learn about adaptive technology, including assistance with purchasing hardware and software which may help in their school work and independence. In-depth evaluations and one-to-one training are also available at no cost.
Activities of Daily Living (ADL) are taught either in small group settings (ages 6 – 15) or one-on-one in the home (ages 16-21). Areas addressed include meal preparation and eating skills, clothes sorting and laundry, home/room organization and additional skills necessary for independence.
Group classes are offered August – May and held at St. Louis Society for the Blind and Visually Impaired, 8770 Manchester Rd. Technology Training and individual daily living skills sessions available at the Society, in-home or other location as needed or requested.
*All students attending ADL classes must be able to take care of personal needs independently.
ADL Instructors: Laura Wilcox & Nancy Nations
How to get Involved:
- First, please complete the STARS Application
2. Next, see sections below:
Technology Demonstration and Training (one-on-one technology lesson)
- By appointment on weekdays, Saturday or after school.
- Appointments are offered in-home or at Society for the Blind offices.
- To make an appointment please contact Brenda Wendling at 314-968-9000
Activities of Daily Living Groups (Ages 6 – 15)
To join a group please contact Laura Wilcox, TVI at 217-827-2039 or by email email@example.com
Activities of Daily Living, Ages 16- 21
- In-home services by appointment: to make an appointment, please contact Brenda Wendling at 314-301-7374 or by email
- Participants and their families will receive a newsletter after each session detailing what was learned and how to follow up at home.
- EXAMPLE NEWSLETTERS: STARS Newsletter January 2016 Giving Back and Social Skills