STARSSpecial Technology and Adaptive Resources for Students
The main goal of STARS is to demonstrate, evaluate, and train youth in Adaptive Technology and Activities of Daily Living.
Comprised of two programs STARS Technology and STARS ADL, the main goal of STARS is to demonstrate, evaluate and train in Adaptive Technology and Activities of Daily Living. While STARS Technology is for students up to age 21, STARS ADL Groups are for those students between the ages of 6 – 15 with in-home daily living skills instruction available for students ages 16 – 21.
STARS provides youth with the opportunity to explore and learn about adaptive technology, including assistance with purchasing hardware and software which may help in their school work and independence. One-to-one training is available at no cost.
Activities of Daily Living (ADL) are taught either in small group settings (ages 6 – 15) or one-on-one in the home (ages 16-21). Areas addressed include meal preparation and eating skills, clothes sorting and laundry, home/room organization and additional skills necessary for independence.
ADL group classes are offered August – May and held at both St. Louis Society for the Blind and Visually Impaired, 8770 Manchester Rd, 63144 and Lighthouse for the Blind, 10440 Trenton Avenue, 63132. Classes held on even months (August, October, December , February and April) will be at the St. Louis Society and classes held on odd months (September, November, January, March and May) will be held at Lighthouse for the Blind (this schedule is subject to change).
Technology Training and individual daily living skills sessions available at the Society, in-home or other location as needed or requested.
*All students attending ADL classes must be able to take care of personal needs independently.
ADL Instructors: Laura Ahrens & Joyce Strother
Laura Ahrens is a certified TVI
Joyce Strother is a certified TVI and O&M
ADL Class Schedule 2021/2022
September 18, 2021 (Lighthouse for the Blind) – Pots, Pans, and Bowls- When and why to use them
October 23, 2021 (Society for the Blind) – Spoons, Forks, Knives, Oh My! – Demonstration of utensils
November 20, 2021 (Lighthouse for the Blind) – Measuring Options- Adaptations, modifications and tricks that make measuring easier
December 18, 2021 ( Society for the Blind) – Knives and Knife Cuts- Safety and practice of what knife to use in each situation
January 15, 2022 (Lighthouse for the Blind) – Cutting Specific Foods- Review of Knife and hands on experience cutting, slicing and dicing
February 12, 2022 (Society for the Blind) – Read a Recipe, Stir Things Up and Labeling – How to read a recipe, access options for recipes, creating your own recipe resource
March 12, 2022 (Lighthouse for the Blind) -Meal Planning – Discussion of nutrition and options to prepare food for the week or month
April 16, 2022 (Society for the Blind)- Shopping Options – Different options to shop in person or online and budget planning
May 21, 2022 (Lighthouse for the Blind) Making a Meal Together- Independently make a meal with all of the skills learned this year
How to get Involved:
- First, please complete the STARS Application
- If completing the application electronically, you must either use Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the digital signature on the release form or print and sign the release. Save the application, and then complete it and email it back
- Return application to Angie Yorke and you will be referred to the appropriate contact.
Technology Demonstration and Training (one-on-one technology lesson)
- By appointment on weekdays, Saturday or after school.
- Appointments are offered in-home or at Society for the Blind offices.
Activities of Daily Living Groups (Ages 6 – 15)
- Classes held once a month on a Saturday, August- May.
- Class location will be at both Lighthouse for the Blind and St. Louis Society for the Blind on alternating months.
- Families will receive a newsletter after each class summarizing the lesson (See Below)
- PDF: August 2021 Safety Concerns, Potential Hazards, and Sanitary Precautions
Activities of Daily Living, Ages 16- 21
- In-home services by appointment