Continuing EducationHelping Individuals who are Legally Blind Succeed in their Academic Endeavors
Each calendar year, we provide financial awards to individuals to assist in continuing their education. Awards may be granted in the areas of adaptive equipment (to facilitate education), college tuition, and training which enables an individual to succeed in their academic endeavors.
Applicants must be considered legally blind to qualify for this scholarship.
THIS GRANT IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE SCHOOL DISTRICT FUNDING REQUIRED UNDER IDEA OR REHAB SERVICES FOR THE BLIND FUNDING. FUNDING WILL TYPICALLY BE FOR HOME USE AND/OR USE IN THE COMMUNITY.
To be eligible to receive Continuing Education funding you must be:
- A blind or legally blind individual in the State of Missouri (excluding the counties of Holt, Andrew, DeKalb, Caldwell, Carroll, Ray, Clay, Clinton, Buchanan, Lafayette, Jackson, Cass, Johnson, Henry and Bates.) or the surrounding Western Illinois Counties
- Enrolled as a full-time student (elementary, middle, high school, or college/trade school).
- A student pre-school age through 26 years old
A qualifying example of training would be:
A student with aspirations of becoming a music teacher may receive a scholarship towards attending a summer music school program.
Examples of items this grant will not cover:
Purchasing eye glasses, purchasing bicycles, purchasing of swings/swing-sets, etc.
HOW TO APPLY – Application must be complete to be considered.
- Read Guidelines
- Complete Continuing Education Application
- Or complete JAWS Accessible Continuing Education application form
- Submit a DOCTOR COMPLETED Vision Assessment.
- Submit certified transcripts from the school presently attending or most recently attended.
- Submit TWO letters of recommendation from a current or recent instructor, counselor, employer, community leader, etc.
- Send all requested materials to: Lighthouse for the Blind, Attention: Continuing Education Program, 10440 Trenton Avenue, Saint Louis, MO 63132
- If you are awarded a scholarship and live outside of St. Louis we may ship the items purchased to your home. If items are delivered to your home and you do not receive them, the Lighthouse for the Blind will not be held responsible and items will NOT be purchased again.
Manager, Blind Community Enrichment