Professional Career Development
For individuals who are specializing in the field of service to persons who are blind or legally blind
Comprised of three seperate programs: Tuition Reimbursement Program, Conference Training and ACVREP Certification Reimbursement.
Tuition Reimbursement Program
The Tuition Reimbursement Program was developed for individuals who are specializing in the field of service to persons who are blind or legally blind. This program is for college students in their senior year in an undergraduate program, OR a graduate student OR a paraprofessional that is currently employed and working in the field. All applicants must have the goal to be a full time employee in service to the blind.
Tuition Reimbursement Program Guidelines:
- Must be specializing in the field of service to persons who are blind or visually impaired (O&M, TVI, VRT, Paraprofessional,)
- Must live and work in Missouri or the Illinois counties of Calhoun, St. Clair, Monroe, Madison or Jersey
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must attend an accredited university and program
- Must have passing grades for reimbursement
- Reimbursement will be available after individual pays and passes the courses each semester
- Reimbursement will be avaliable for tuition, books, and on- campus room & board
- Maximum reimbursement amount of $6000 annually
- You may wish to speak to a tax advisor as reimbursements above $5,250 will be considered taxable according to IRS regulations
- Applicants can re-apply each semester
- Applicants will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis
- Must apply and be accepted for reimbursement before classes begin
- LHB will not reimburse students for prior expenses. This includes classes already completed or currently in process of completing.
The Conference/Training Program for Professionals offers educators the ability to apply for funding for reimbursements for conferences or training that they will attend in the field of service to persons who are blind or visually impaired.
Conference/Training Program Guidelines
Guidelines for AER International 2022 Applications:
The Lighthouse will reimburse professionals for hotel and mileage per program guidelines if you live more than 50 miles (100 miles round trip) one way from the conference destination. If you live less than 50 miles from the conference destination, you may apply for reimbursement of the registration fee. We will offer reimbursement of the AER Member registration fee only. There is limited funding, and we will provide it on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please see below for other important guidelines.
- Must be a professional in the field of vision living in Missouri or Illinois counties of Calhoun, St. Clair, Monroe, Madison or Jersey.
- All applicants must be currently employed full-time in Missouri or Illinois
- Funds must not be available from the school district (administrator must sign off on this)
- Conference is located in the U.S.
- Funding will be in the form of reimbursement for expenses (must have receipts)
- In order to receive your reimbursement, you must attend 75% of the conference program on the days LHB is reimbursing your expenses and provide documentation from the Conference organizer of sessions attended.
- Airfare or mileage will be reimbursed up to $400
- Lodging will be reimbursed up to $150 per day
- Registration fee to be reimbursed in full/This does NOT include pre -conference workshop registration fees
- Incidentals such as food, parking, car rental, shuttle fees and taxis do not qualify for reimbursement
- Funding will be awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis
- 90 days prior to the conference, applicants may apply for funding. Any applications received prior to the 90 days will not be considered
- You must receive approval from LHB prior to the date of the conference to receive reimbursement
- Total reimbursement not to exceed $2000 per conference
- Maximum reimbursement not to exceed $3,000 per year
- Guidelines are subject to change
ACVREP Certification Reimbursement Guidelines
The Professional Career Development program promotes highly trained and qualified blindness professionals in MO and the Illinois counties of Calhoun, St. Clair, Monroe, Madison and Jersey through reimbursement of eligible expenses for ACVREP initial certification and re-certification. The eligible certification (s) are CLVT, COMS, CVRT, and/or CATIS.
ANY FEES PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 2017 WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT.
Reimbursement will be available for:
- Eligibility Fee
- Examination Fee (up to two administrations of exam)
- Certification Fee
- Re-certification Fee
To be considered for reimbursement, applications must be complete with all corresponding materials. Reimbursement will be given on a first-come-first- serve basis and will only be provided when the applicant submits a copy of their valid certificate.
For the application to be complete:
- You must be a resident in Missouri or the Illinois counties of Calhoun, St. Clair, Monroe, Madison or Jersey.
- You must be employed full time or provide contractual services in the state of MO or IL.
- Must have receipts for any and all reimbursement
- Competed W-9 form
- Copy of valid certificate
How to Apply
Download and complete EITHER the: